Maggie Elizabeth Harrington Review

Maggie Elizabeth Harrington: I Live in Two Worlds - D.J. Swykert

Review delayed

So, I delayed writing this review. I read this book just under a month ago, so you’ll have to forgive me if there are some inaccuracies in my review. It wasn’t my intention to not write this review; I just got caught out with life. I’ve started to think about another book to write, and I’ve been very busy during the week. However, it’s probably better I’ve had some time to think about the book.

Characters

The main character we are in is Maggie, the protagonist in the book. Maggie is most likely quite a typical teenage girl because all we hear of is how much everything affects her. She’s the centre of her world and kind of an entitled teenage girl, even though it’s set quite long ago and she comes from a pretty low-income family. In fact, her family doesn’t speak to her. As a character, I didn’t like her, she repeated herself way too much (as teenage girls do) and I felt like she didn’t understand the world she lived in.

The other characters we have in the book are Maggie’s friend Annie and her brother, Tommy. Annie has always been friends with Maggie, and she has secretly always had a crush on Tommy. Tommy and Maggie fall in love in the story, and to me, it seemed unrealistic. But we only see it from Maggie’s perspective, so we don’t know what Tommy was thinking during the story.

Themes

I guess there are a lot of themes in this book. I suppose a big theme is wolves, as Maggie does try to hide and raise four baby wolf pups. I also think the author is quite passionate about wolves. We see this with how much Maggie cares for the wolves and how much effort she goes to protect them.

Another theme is “forbidden love”. Sometimes I wonder if Tommy loved Maggie because his parents forbade him from doing so. We see this in our everyday lives, that when someone says “you can’t do that,” that’s precisely what you want to do.

Conclusion

So, this wasn’t my favourite book. I will go out and say that for Young Adult readers, you won’t like this. I mean, most people don’t like to listen to the mundane thoughts in their heads, and in this book, you have to hear to Maggie thinking and repeating and churning through her every thought. I did think it was an accurate representation of a young girl, but in saying that, I don’t know if people want to read that sort of stuff.

Note about this review

I received a copy of the book from the author for an honest review. I always try my best to balance the reviews and not favour any one person (though I may be a bit subjective when it comes to the genre).

Source: http://www.amaitken.com/book-review/maggie-elizabeth-harrington-review