Looking for Alaska Review

Looking for Alaska - John Green

I finished this book this morning on the way to work. I don’t know why I like the book. Probably because it’s everything I wanted to experience as a teenager but never had the guts to. This book gave me my teenage years back and I liked it.

Sure, the story is sad and the second half of the book plays out as some sort of teenage crisis but I feel as if I can relate to the characters. That’s what we want from a good book, to feel the characters as if they were real.

No one is perfect and that’s what I liked from the character Pudge. He lied when he needed to. He loved the wrong girl and she played him. He smoked and he got drunk (albeit not often).

I believe this story explains loss and how we can deal with it. I’m not going to go deep into themes because I’m not studying in an English class anymore. Although I have had my own personal story of loss, it is nothing as dramatic as this.

The teenage angst shown in this book creates a lively and wild adventure that you can feel you are along for the ride. John Green did an excellent job and I’m actually surprised that this hasn’t been made into a film.

I guess, in summary, I found this book to be the best of the three John Green books I’ve read so far. The fact that the characters seem real and wild took me away on their adventures with them.

Source: http://www.amaitken.com/book-review/looking-for-alaska-review